Many people are hesitant about going to the dentist. Between nine and 20 percent of Americans are uncomfortable at the thought of a dentist visit and often let dental problems arise because of it.
Anxiety-Free Dentistry, also known sedation dentistry, is an increasingly popular way for individuals to face the dentist chair.
No one should put off fixing a problem or prevent one from forming. Goers Dental Care can start to erase years of overlooked dental problems while providing comfort and relaxation.
Anxiety-Free Dentistry may be the answer for those who:
- have had traumatic dental experiences
- feel uneasy in the chair
- have sensitive teeth
- have difficulty getting numb
- fear needles and drills
There are three main types of sedation: anxiolysis, moderate sedation and deep sedation. Used at Goers Dental Care, the most common form of sedation – anxiolysis – can be administered two ways:
- Nitrous Oxide: Also known as “laughing gas,” nitrous oxide is combined with oxygen through a mask that is placed over the nose. The gas wears off quickly. In fact, patients can even drive themselves home after the procedure.
- Oral Sedation: A pill, ranging from a minimal to moderate dosage, is administered about an hour before the start of the procedure. The patient will be drowsy but awake. Some people can fall asleep during a procedure, but a gentle shake will wake them up.
Other sedation methods are:
- IV Moderate Sedation: A sedative drug is given through an IV. It goes to work immediately and the dentist has continuous control over the level of sedation.
- Deep Sedation and General Anesthesia: For this form of sedation the patient is given medications that will cause near sleep or completely deep sleep during the procedure. It takes awhile for this form of anesthesia to wear off, or it can be reversed with medication.
Goers Dental Care in Darien provides brighter, healthier, more beautiful smiles with Anxiety-Free Dentistry. 630-789-0900